There’s only one week left till the most romantic day of the year: Valentine’s Day. Whether you are going to celebrate it alone, or with your love, I have found the perfect dessert for dinner, which also makes a perfect gift.
This recipe is so simple, vegan and also gluten-free and ready in just 30-minutes. A healthy and delicious sweet treat for Valentine’s Day or any special occasions. Or just because… 🙂
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (optional, I don’t use any salt)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 10 whole medjool dates (pitted and soaked)
- 1 1/4 cups dairy-free dark chocolate (real chocolate bar, roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional, I leave this one out too)
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs, crushed pecans/walnuts, and/or sea salt for topping
- Place pecans and walnuts in a food processor and process until it reaches the consistency of a meal. Remove and set aside .
- Next, place pitted dates in the food processor and process until small bits remain and it forms into a ball.
- Add in the cacao powder and 1/2 of the nut meal and pulse. Continue pulsing and adding the nut meal a little at a time until a loose dough is formed. You may not need to use all of the nuts, but you can use the leftovers for topping the truffles.
- Once you have a dough that’s easy to form into balls, scoop out 1 tablespoon amounts and form into balls. If they aren’t quite forming, hold in your palm and let the heat of your hand warm them, then gently shape into a loose ball. Set on parchment paper and place in freezer to chill – you should have about 14 truffles.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 seconds. Be careful not to overheat. Once melted, stir in coconut oil to help the chocolate thin and ease the dipping process.
- Remove truffles from freezer and, one at a time, dip them into the melted chocolate. Use a fork to remove them and tap away excess chocolate. Transfer back onto parchment paper and top with sea salt, crushed pecans, or cacao nibs.
- Repeat until all truffles are dipped. Let set at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. Transfer to freezer for longer term storage.
Photos: Unsplash, Pinterest